Monday, October 15, 2012

Time to Head South Again

Going to start posting to this blog again.

For those who followed Jerry and I across Canada in 2010 a lot of stuff has changed.

I lost Jerry to pancreatic cancer in June 2011. Although I did travel south again in 2011-2012, I just could not get going on the blog. I do want to keep my family and friends up to date with what I am doing again, so here goes....

Have spent the last month in Kelowna BC helping my sister with the illness and eventual loss of her dear friend David. David and Patty met at a home for disabled adults. She is mentally challenged from a disease of her childhood and David was a quadraplegic with cerebral palsy. They loved each other and hoped to some day be husband and wife. David was diagnosed with Cancer of the throat in August of this year, and after a series of radiation treatments passed away on Sept 29th. I am amazed by the strength she has shown through this. She is 67 years old and waited all her life to find this love. She knows absolutely that she helped make his life better, just as he added so much to hers. I am so proud of her.

I will stay here for another two weeks to make sure she is going to be okay, and at the same time take care of my hosts critters while she takes a 10 day trip. Then it will be time to hook up the Tracker and head south. Looking forward to meeting all the solos in Death Valley for a couple of weeks then on to Yuma.

Saturday I had to say good bye to another old pal. Aki, my Shiba Inu was with me for 12 years and at the age of 18, his little body started to wear out. He has left a big hole in my heart, and my Schatzie (borderline collie) misses him too. She has been a big comfort to me and we will travel together.

No comments: