Friday, March 27, 2009











Mar 27 c
Freeway driving again, I 14, I 5, and 101 in and around LA. Fun Fun pulling the trailer. Stopped at Oxnard to get a decent map of the area and asked for directions to a breakfast spot. Was directed to Denny’s about 10 miles down the highway, supposed to be a good gas stop too. After maneuvering around the gas pumps with the help of an attendant, got her filled up and headed for Denny’s next door. Was told there was RV parking at the back.. Well I might have been able to park there ok, but there was no exit. So I held up people leaving the restaurant as I tried to back out of there. They were a little vocal and not necessarily impressed with my expertise. After I convinced one of them to maybe direct me to back out of the parking lot I got under way……without breakfast. Plugged Solvang into the GPS and headed back on to the freeway. That Englishman that I have on Garmin decided I wanted a scenic route and directed me off the freeway onto San Marcos Pass…..Highway 154….more hills, switchbacks, narrow roads (missing the sign that said length restrictions) should have noticed there were no trucks on this road. But now I know I can climb hills and coast down them with the trusty Tacoma.
Solvang is a very pretty Danish village, I camped about three miles down the road, left the trailer and went back for Danish pancakes at 3 in the afternoon.
Next day Marty McGrath picked me up and gave me an excellent tour of the area. Really enjoyed poking into little shops and wineries. Thanks so much Marty.

No comments: