Friday, March 27, 2009











Mar 27 b
Mail arrived, time to head for the coast. Saw some nice wildflowers on the desert on the way, but freeway driving for the full day with wind gusts. I was pooped by the time I got to Palmdale, behind LA. Stopped for gas, and for the first time since 1965 I think, had to pay a quarter to use the rest room.
Asked the owner there if she knew of any campgrounds in the area that would accommodate me and the 27’trailer. She gave me directions to one supposedly 10 miles away. Well I followed directions and realized I was heading straight into the mountains, steep hills, narrow roads and switch backs and no where to turn around. Got to the campsite just before dark. Not only was it closed, it was for tents, no place in the campground that I could put the trailer. But there was a parking area next to the creek. So I pulled in and noticed two other groups camped at the sites. The first was two rough looking gals with 4 llamas, so I went over to talk. They seemed to think it would be ok to stay where I was. I wasn’t planning to take that road back in the dark anyway. The other campsite had this dude with a knit cap (Peruvian) I think, and Nova Scotia pea jacket, sitting on a stump in front of the fire drinking from a mason jar. “Deliverance” came to mind. As I looked around for the banjo, he asked if I had more of the wine I was drinking, and I admitted I did. He said his name was Carlos and he was a self taught herb gatherer. He was quite informative about the plants in the area and what they were used for.
I spent a rather sleepless night, with the dogs barking every time some critter nosed around, but all in all no problems. Drove out the next morning early. (No cell or internet service to let friends know I would be late.)

No comments: