Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cape Breton and PEI or How I conquered my fear of heights





October 5, 2010
Looks like I messed up on dates back therel Either that or slept through the entire month of Sept.
We are on PEI, After leaving the ferry at North Sydney we visited with the Queen (my ex sister in law Mary) in Sydney and then headed for Baddeck to tour part of Cape Breton Island.
Visited Louisbourg NS, a fort established in the 1700’s to protect the fishing industry from the British. I had visited this fort in 1973 and the changes were amazing. It is the largest reconstructed 18th century town in North America. The buildings have been reconstructed using the actual plans from the original dwellings. The workers in the fort are in period costumes and one has the feeling of wandering around an actual town in that time period.
The following day we decided to do the Cabot Trail a scenic drive around Cape Breton Island. It was raining again, so we missed some of the scenic views. It was a treat to have road signs in English and Gaelic rather than English and French. We made the best of the day by having a lobster dinner at Baddeck. Pricey but delicious.
A note about the campsite we stayed at: The manager advised us that she was definitely against overnight parking at Walmart and other sites. She actually uses some of her time off to scout out these places and inform the police that laws are being broken, and even goes so far as to drive around these RV’s playing music loudly in the middle of the night. Needless to say, we were not impressed and left the following day for Prince Edward Island.
We took the ferry from Caribou to PEI (it is free to visit the island, you pay when you leave) We had arranged to stay with friends of mine from the 70`s. It was so good to see them again, we had been communicating via the internet but hadn`t seen each other since 1979. They were great hosts, and we caught up sometimes with stories of my shenanigans back then, which I am sure Jerry didn`t know about. Ah well, we all have a past. The rain followed us again as we drove around the east cape but subsided when we visited the town I used to live in. I wandered down memory lane, while Jerry, bless his heart put up with my reminiscing. Found another lobster dinner at New Glasgow, much better than the NS dinner......unlimited steamed mussels, salads and dessert.
The fuel problems came back.....at the worst possible time..... We were just on to Confederation Bridge, a 13 km bridge over the gulf of St. Lawrence. Absolutely no stopping allowed. A two lane bridge that terrified me.....and the bus stalled. There is a 3 ft barrier on the side which we parked very close to and Jerry had to open one of the bays to blow out the obstruction. I had to get out and hold the bay door open. No time to check my blood pressure, believe me. It could have been a lot worse if it hadn’t been for Jerry knowing what to do. And we did actually get to walk on the bridge.
I was glad to get to the other side. I mentioned that it didn`t seem to be as long as I expected. Jerry said a couple of stops always seems to shorten the trip.

No comments: